Friday, July 24, 2009

Where the songs came from pt. 2

Well, I did promise to try and update daily.

Here we go!

Seeing in the Darkness:
I wrote "seeing in the darkness" while I was in a little known (and far less impressive) band called scepter, or maybe we were specter. I don't know, it doesn't matter. My older brother, the front man for the band wanted me to write a song that was actually good. I did not do that. Instead I wrote a terrible piece of dog shit that was actually two very different songs smashed into each other and offered up as art. We never played it... Thank God. It was terrible, the guitar line rambled around, the drums were out of time and the bass played all of like five notes. It did however have this one really good riff.

When I went back and reworked the song a few years later, I threw out five minutes of so called "music" and was left with this very short riff. The part of the song where Allen sings "Would you kill me if I said please?", that riff... yup yup yup, that's the one. I kept that, took the main riff out of another song that I figured we would never ever play and it worked. Originally it was meant for two guitars, bass and drums, but I think the piano makes it sound downright haunting.


Fratricide:
Fratricide was written about a news story that hit very close to home. A local man shot his brother to death. Their father was a coworker of my father's and I was very sad for him. I took a riff that I had been messing around with for a few weeks and in the blind anger, frustration, fear and rage that come with hearing about a situation such as this, I fired off this song. It has not been changed from the original concept.


Angel of Fire:
Right now, our most popular song. The song we play as a closer was actually, originally, a love song. Once upon a time I was very very drunk and I was watching a movie (probably Lord of the Rings) and I decided that the most romantically tragic situation for lovers mathematically is the "Trapezoid" so I wrote a song about it.

The lyrics were a love song from one of the parallel lines to the other. He was sad because she always ran next to him, but they would never cross paths. Meanwhile their counterparts would intersect and at one point they would become one. This actually kind of made me sad thinking about it, so I wrote a song. I was very synth heavy and actually not quite bad.

So where then did "Angel of Fire" come from? Well, I got drunk one morning it was a saturday and I had been up writing music all night. I had opened my last bottle of colt 45 and sat staring at the T.V. I had been writing for ten hours straight and nothing was going right so I decided to flip through some of my old stuff and see what I could use. I found "Trapezoid" and realized that one little riff in there was pretty cool, so I ripped it out and stuck it down on paper. Then I went into another one of my songs "Terminality" and stole the verse/chorus chords and made those the verse/chorus of my latest Frankenstein song. It actually worked and from there I sat down, put in the drums, recorded them from guitar pro into cubase, played the three original guitar parts and the bass part and the rest is history.


Next time we'll learn about the Drop D song: Never Coming Back, The Damned, and Why is Everybody Dead?

No comments: