Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Where the songs come from PT 3

The damned:



I was messing around with the riff for a while I couldn't figure out how to end it. Mike (our original guitarist) kept it nice and simple and that was how we went about it. I also wrote the lyrics for this one. Tim had entitled it "Ramen Noodles" which was supposed to be a song about the college experience. When Tim left I decided I wanted the words to be more about my college experience. I was listening to Manowar one day while walking down the halls at Manhattanville the song was actually "Dawn of Battle". I hated college and I used to put that song on to drown out the mass of idiocy that I thought flooded the hallways and saturated the air. If you need further explaining, get the song, put it on and walk through a place you hate.

I am the one
the one in your head
telling you to kill
I am the gun
the gun in your hand
whoa its such a thrill

"Whoa its such a thrill"... wtf? This line is actually a tribute to the W.A.S.P. album "Dying for the World"

Take the knife
give it a twist
unless you wanna
slit your wrists
you don't know who
or what I am
now your just
one of the damned

This chorus is basically my attitude towards a lot of the bleeding hearts who lurk in colleges. The ones who tell you that the soldiers fighting to keep them free are somehow robbing them of their civil rights. My attitude towards them is: If you don't support the war, at the very least support the troops. If you don't support the troops (regardless of their mission) kill yourself.

I am the dark
I am the storm
Demon Prince of Hell
I’ll take you down
Down to my home
I'll ring your mourning bell

I think the "I am the dark, I am the storm" is just really because those are things that people are afraid of. And then we have the AC/DC and GNR tribute with Hell and Bell (Hells Bells) and I'll take you down for "Paradise City" which is also funny because its the opposite of paradise and therefore transcends things all the way through the bible to Genesis which is the beginning and therefore we as human beings are the damned (Holy shit! Blame Owen just got all deep on your ass)

Then we have the final chorus:

Take the gun
Give it a spin
One shot to kill
One shot to win
Now you know
Who I am
Prince of Darkness
King of the Damned

Pretty badass! I mean, take the gun, give it a spin. That's a reference to playing Russian Roulette, but it also says to us that a person is the one who makes bad decisions, not society. When you do something dumb and die it's your own fault.

One shot to kill, one shot to win: My favorite lyric! AND I WROTE IT!!!!!

And then the narrator reveals himself to us.

This all happens in about 1:30.

No comments: